Tips for Cooking with CBD Oil (Plus Recipes to Try!)
CBD remains a trendy wellness option, and more and more people are trying it every day. However, many new users find that they dislike the taste of CBD oil. Tinctures made with hemp seed oil, in particular, have a distinct, earthy flavor. It's an acquired taste, and some people find they can't get past it. While it's possible to buy flavored tinctures, another fantastic option is to add CBD oil to food. Indeed, cooking with CBD has become somewhat of a trend - but few are doing it right. There is a proper way to cook with CBD, ensuring that the cannabinoids remain intact and assimilate well with the dish you are trying to create. This guide covers four essential tips for cooking with CBD, along with three easy recipes to get you started.
CBD Cooking Tip #1 – Pick the Best ProductsThe first thing to get right is the CBD product you use. It needs to be one that works for you, with the right amount of cannabidiol. Furthermore, you need to pick a high-quality ingredient. Low-quality cannabidiol can degrade more easily, taste worse, and not provide the desired effects. When shopping, make sure you find a brand that you trust. The best CBD brands source their cannabidiol from hemp grown in the USA. Furthermore, they use CO2 extraction to produce a quality, full-spectrum extract. No matter what brand you choose, make sure they publish certificates of analysis that verify the contents of the product. Check out the full range of tinctures here at PureKana – our flavored options are great for cooking.
CBD Cooking Tip #2 – Don't Overuse ItWhen cooking, you might be tempted to overdo it and add lots of cannabidiol to the recipe. However, it's crucial to add the right amount. In part, this is because extremely high doses are likely to cause side effects and ruin the taste and texture of the recipe. It's also vital because CBD can be expensive, and you won't want to waste your favorite product in one recipe. Working out how much CBD to add can require a bit of math. If you plan to make a singular meal with CBD, simply add the standard amount you would take in one day. But if you are making a batch of brownies, for example, you may need more. Let's say you plan to cut the brownies into twelve squares and eat one each day – add 12x the amount of CBD you would take in one day, and try to mix the batter as evenly as possible.
CBD Cooking Tip #3 – Introduce FatCannabinoids, like oils, are hydrophobic. This means that tinctures do not mix well with water. Any recipe you make with CBD will require some fat for the CBD to bind to; this can be oil, milk, butter, etc. As long as you incorporate some sort of fat, you will reap the full benefits of the CBD.
CBD Cooking Tip #4 – Use Controlled HeatExercise caution when applying heat to cannabinoids. Excessive heat can cause the CBD to evaporate, losing some of the potency that you require. The boiling point for CBD is between 320˚F and 356˚F (180˚C), so try to stay below 356˚ where possible. This might sound difficult, but it's not so bad when frying, making hot beverages, or making sauces. It can be risky when baking, but it should be fine if you cook the product low and slow.
CBD Recipes You Can TryThere are lots of CBD recipes to try; once you've nailed the basics, you can also get inventive. It's possible to make CBD-infused salad dressings, lattes, pasta sauces, baked goods, stir-fries, and more. The possibilities are literally endless! To get you started with your cannabinoid feasts, here are three easy CBD recipes. Grab your favorite CBD oil, and you should be ready to go.
1. CBD Bulletproof CoffeeA few years ago, the bulletproof coffee trend took the internet by storm. It entails using coconut oil and butter in your coffee as creamer. The idea behind it is that it's a keto-friendly coffee without all the carbs but still packed with energy. It's also possible to add CBD to your bulletproof cup of Joe. It's an incredibly simple, two-step recipe that you can make in five minutes. Plus, it's easy to incorporate into your daily routine. Here's how. Ingredients
- 1 cup brewed coffee of your choice
- 1 tbsp grass-fed butter or Ghee
- 1 tbsp CBD oil with MCT oil base
- Add all of the bulletproof coffee ingredients to a blender and blitz until frothy.
- Transfer to a mug or flask of your choice and enjoy.
2. CBD Pesto PastaIf you want a more substantial meal infused with CBD, then pesto pasta is the answer. Pesto is an effortless pasta sauce that you can make at home – all you need is a blender and the ingredients. Pesto is even better when it's fresh, so here's how to make a super easy, super quick pesto pasta dish infused with cannabidiol. The pesto recipe makes one cup of pesto, so store the leftovers in a jar in the refrigerator for later. Ingredients
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 4 cups fresh basil
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- CBD oil of your choice
- 1 cup dried fusilli pasta
- Salt, to taste
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes
- Over low heat, gently cook the pine nuts in a frying pan until golden, shaking occasionally.
- Add the pine nuts, basil, parmesan, olive oil, CBD oil, and garlic to a blender. Blitz until completely smooth.
- Add the fusilli to a saucepan, cover with water and add salt, to taste. Bring to the boil and cook according to packet instructions.
- Meanwhile, add the cherry tomatoes to the same frying pan you used before with a dash of olive oil. Cook over low-medium heat until they brown and the skin blisters. Careful, the oil may spit. Gently crush the tomatoes with a wooden spoon and remove from the heat.
- Drain the water from the pasta but return it to the pan. Coat in the green pesto, then stir in the cherry tomatoes.
- Serve, topped with extra parmesan, if you like.
3. CBD CookiesCBD cookies are a fantastic CBD-infused dessert. They're easy to make, and it's simple to add variations such as coconut flakes, extra chocolate chips, or whatever you like. Our recipe makes a dozen cookies. By the way, cookies and desserts are a great opportunity to experiment with flavored CBD oils. Try the PureKana Vanilla CBD Drops for some extra sugary sweetness. Ingredients
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup softened butter
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp hot water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 oz CBD oil
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the CBD oil with the softened butter, brown sugar, and white sugar. Combine until the batter is smooth.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, dissolve the baking soda in the hot water, then add it to the batter. Stir in the salt.
- Finally, fold in the chocolate chips and flour.
- Scoop the dough onto a baking tray with parchment paper and place in the center of the oven for around 10 minutes for gooey cookies.